King of Obsolete

Discuss non-crawler related issues here (keep it sane, please)
Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

King of Obsolete

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:30 am

Here is the website for the king of obsoletes website. Has more then a dozen old restored cats and internationals. When you see the condition of what he has restored to running shape might change your mind about how junking a crawler. Gives a really good idea about how cold it can get Canada, and this is in northern Manitoba not even northern Canada. Just figured guys might wanna check this site out.

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/index.html
420C Holt Blade ROPS

420-40C Basket Case

frozendozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by frozendozer » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:35 am

cool site dude...love all the stuff you got and do, a real master of improvising. great idea for the fuel tanks and the seized motor saloution is right on, weld on the starter.

one point of clarification tho. We in the Yukon are the real great white north, Manitoba is just somewhere in the south....lol

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Yup to true, basically you want northern Canada you need to be in the Yukon or the territories. The King there has done some really neat stuff, love his V12 powered cat that he was working on. Deffinitly worth the read, some of his stories are unreal, love his monster truck.

Have a good one

Dave
420C Holt Blade ROPS

420-40C Basket Case

Davie Sprocket
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Davie Sprocket » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Oh i didn't read that right, I'm not the king, me i am just a mere mortal.

Dave
420C Holt Blade ROPS

420-40C Basket Case

Jeff Clark
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Jeff Clark » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 pm

This is not a question on crawlers but a spreader towed behind ,it is a david bradley [sold through sears?] with a broken chain for the cross bar for the floor system that feeds the spreader,is this behond obsolete or is there help for it?The whole working farm is 50s and 60s eqipment.his thought is if it is not smashed or crushed keep it running and never update equipment. jeffvanguardclark@yahoo.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:47 pm

I sort of liked these photos from his site; you normally don't think about smaller crawlers moving a house or large supply sleds like that.

http://www.kingofobsolete.ca/houses_on_ ... ebpage.htm
http://www.cattraintours.ca/
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:34 am

Makes -10 degree winters hereabouts feel a little warmer.

King of Obsolete
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by King of Obsolete » Sun May 04, 2008 4:28 pm

hello guys, i found you on a google search. the computer makes the world a small place.

there were no old JDs on the cat train, i wonder why???? it was all cat, IH and cletrac for some reason. maybe some one can fill me in.

at my new "real job", i get to work on 2 john deere 650Gs.

thansk
KoO
Published Author
Cat Trains forever or until the snow melts
www.kingofobsolete.ca
www.cattraintours.ca
card carrying member of the Writer's Guild

Dave Seager
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Dave Seager » Sun May 04, 2008 5:27 pm

:D Hey Joey,
You need to get Xena one of those 420 crawlers like the one in the picture I emailed to her :shock: Although it looks like she's laid claim to Bad Business :lol: :lol: If that isn't old enough (too modern) go for a BO Lindeman :) :o
S-S

King of Obsolete
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by King of Obsolete » Sun May 04, 2008 5:48 pm

thansk dave, xena's cat is KOMMUNIST KAT because she was on that adventure.

http://kingofobsolete.ca/Newsletter10.htm

BAD BUSINESS came from my ex-brother inlaw, that is how he got his name.

i know tony from tony's tractor in oregon has a fancy for those lindeman.

thansk
KoO
Published Author
www.kingofobsolete.ca
www.cattraintours.ca

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun May 04, 2008 7:05 pm

I think the power level on the Deere crawlers was just not enough for freighting. I guess I can see where if you needed a lightweight machine for a small load they would have worked. A 420 is only 30hp, and even a T6 should do almost 40 I would think, and not really at that much greater weight. Plus, I think a T/TD6 could have 16" pads, maybe more.
Another factor would be the year. MC did not come out until 49, and the rest of the guys had been in the business for years by that time. Really, the first one you would have wanted to do that much work with would have been a 4 roller 40, now you are up to 1954 already.
I have seen some pics from the loggers pulling what looks like ungodly loads with a 40 or 420, but they were not over as great a distance a freighting would be.
Joey, you need to stop in next time you make a southern tour, I am about 4-5 hours South of Winnipeg.
Lavoy

King of Obsolete
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by King of Obsolete » Sun May 04, 2008 7:16 pm

yes lavoy, i think you have the right info on why the jd cats were not in the winter frighter business. timing is everything.

not sure when the next southern tour is going to happen.

thansk
KoO
Published Author
www.kingofobsolete.ca
www.cattraintours.ca

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Fri May 09, 2008 8:27 pm

King of Obsolete wrote:hello guys, i found you on a google search. the computer makes the world a small place.
Indeed. Like when I took videos in the iron foundry and posted them on YouTube and the boss found them a month later. No one could see what the big deal was but he thought he had stumbled on some sort of conspiracy. Now I avoid mentioning my company's name in everything I say on the internet to ward off the paranoids. :lol:

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:55 am

I think the Deeres of that erra were just too small as you have mentioned but in northern Ontario I know that they were loved and purchased by the dozens .The job they did was to pull sleighs that were origonaly horse drawn and at that time they could even pull two that is twice the capacity .An old guy I know has photos and he told me he was one of the first to run a 40 c on the crew They had places for the teams to pull over and rest while the crawlers went through .the crawlers could work in deeper snow and start earlyer in the spring as well .I asked him if he liked doing that job and his reply was it shure as hell was easyer than droping them .You got a point there buddy !!Digitup.

King of Obsolete
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by King of Obsolete » Sun May 11, 2008 4:20 pm

yes you have to watch and where you put stuff on the internet, it can come back to haunt you, LOL

maybe the john deere cats were used on the smaller side of winter freighting. one or two sleighs on short hauls.

thansk
KoO
Published Author
www.kingofobsolete.ca
www.cattraintours.ca