Injection pump for JD350B

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Larry 8N75381
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Larry 8N75381 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 am

Thanks for the reply.
jdemaris wrote:Depends on what pump is on your engine.
I have the JDB pump, but won't know if it was an "add on" or not until I can lift the bucket so I can see better. Could the old mounting be changed? I ask because the guy I bought it from works for the local JD Construction Dealer, James River Equipment. If it was possible to change the mounting so the horseshoe shaped bracket was replaced by just the two mounting bolts, he may have done that, since he changed the reverser control location and the fuel filter to those of the 350B. He said that it had a new injector pump, though not sure how many hours he had run it since. BUT something is disintegrating inside and plugging the housing pressure regulator.
Oliver OC-4 Dozer, '67 Ford 3000, '48 Ford 8N75381, '67 JD 350 Loader

jdemaris

Post by jdemaris » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Larry 8N75381 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have the JDB pump, but won't know if it was an "add on" or not until I can lift the bucket so I can see better. Could the old mounting be changed?
The number you gave for the pump on your 350 is original equipment, not an upgrade. The replacement pump is a different # - i.e. JDB331AL2732. They are all pretty much the same, anyway, but it sounds like your 350 came new with a DB or JDB pump, and the guy just swapped another similar pump onto it. In regard to a 350 that had the update kit and mounting? A 350 that came originally with a C pump has the two mounting studs in the wrong place as the timing cover plate is a bit different. Thus the adapter, horshoe-shaped bracket.

In regard the check/valve regulator plugging? The plastic rings in those pumps go like clockwork. Most last around 10 years - but some fail sooner. You can spend a few extra bucks and totally eliminate the plastic if desired. That is always done with automotive applications. The same plastic ring was used in the DB2 pumps on GM 6.2 and Ford-IH 6.9 diesels until 1985. Then, and updated part was made to eliminate the ring. Cost an extra $25-$40 depending on where you buy it - it's called an EID (elastomer insert drive).

Larry 8N75381
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Larry 8N75381 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:46 pm

jdemaris wrote:The number you gave for the pump on your 350 is original equipment, not an upgrade. The replacement pump is a different # - i.e. JDB331AL2732. They are all pretty much the same, anyway, but it sounds like your 350 came new with a DB or JDB pump, and the guy just swapped another similar pump onto it. In regard to a 350 that had the update kit and mounting? A 350 that came originally with a C pump has the two mounting studs in the wrong place as the timing cover plate is a bit different. Thus the adapter, horshoe-shaped bracket.
Where can I find what is original and what is not? I have looked at the JD parts catalog on the internet and find it frustratingly confusing!! For example, I have printed out both the "Replacement fuel injection pump head and rotor assembly" (Catalog 921, Grid 1D18, Section 30, Page 25A) and "Replacement fuel injection pump governor and drive shaft" (Catalog 921, Grid 1D18, Section 30, Page 25C). Yet I can find NO where on either of those the number AL2732. Is there some special secret to finding parts in the JD catalog?
jdemaris wrote:In regard the check/valve regulator plugging? The plastic rings in those pumps go like clockwork. Most last around 10 years - but some fail sooner. You can spend a few extra bucks and totally eliminate the plastic if desired. That is always done with automotive applications. The same plastic ring was used in the DB2 pumps on GM 6.2 and Ford-IH 6.9 diesels until 1985. Then, and updated part was made to eliminate the ring. Cost an extra $25-$40 depending on where you buy it - it's called an EID (elastomer insert drive).
Given that I seem to not know how to find parts in the JD catalog, What is the part number of the plastic ring that dies? And what is the replacement part? Can I get this part through JD?

Thanks MUCH again,
Larry
Oliver OC-4 Dozer, '67 Ford 3000, '48 Ford 8N75381, '67 JD 350 Loader