Steering clutch and track adjustment on john deer 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dustin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Steering clutch and track adjustment on john deer 1010

Post by dustin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:33 pm

Sorry for all the posts folks, I ordered the service manual, operater's manual and parts manual right from mother deere this morning. Too bad they are 10~ days away from me. I'm anxious and want to run this little toy this weekend!

1st problem, the track is loose, and it looks like it has a manual tentioner that pushes the front idler out to keep the track tight. I hear this is hydraulic on some 1010s I beleive. I am not sure why that 2 1/2 or so large nut won't turn, even with a 4 foot bar on the wrench.

2nd problem, the machine turns when it wants to, and it's intermittent. I would figure it would be the steering clutches, but the machine has enough power to spin either track while pushing into a bank. Would that rule out bad clutches? Next would be the brake bands I am guessing... is there an adjustment for these? Tearing the track off to change those does not sound fun.

Any advice would be great, sorry for all the posts if I am posting too much!

Dustin
Minnesota

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:07 pm

You can never post too much! :lol:

I can't see the pics but am going by what you mention in your post.

You are correct about the tensioners- Deere used both manual and hydraulic adjusters on crawlers, although most of the newer crawlers use hydraulic adjusters. I would imagine that the nut on your manual adjuster is just "frozen" and you may have to use rust penetrant or heat to get it to budge. Since I haven't had to deal with manual adjusters, maybe others can give suggestions.

It sounds like your steering clutches are engaged without slipping since you can push into the piles without track slippage. However it may be the brake bands you are noticing as being intermittent. The steering clutches give you wide sweeping turns- the brake bands allow sharper turns. Both have to be adjusted properly at the steering levers to function properly- the idea is that the steering clutch is disengaged with a partial pull of the lever and a stronger pull engages the brake band.

Do you see a difference in braking between forward and reverse? That may give you some idea of brake band wear- it is also possible that the brake bands are oil soaked. You should be able to inspect the brake bands through an access panel on the top of each steering clutch housings, if similar to my 2010. I would also go through the adjustment procedure and see if it makes any difference in braking- if not then you may need to replace brake bands.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi: follow this link to the free John Deere parts catalog section.

If it doesn't show up , type in "1010" for model and go from there. Download the .pdf. This will show you pictures of the parts in question.

Good luck personalizing your machine. Paul

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

dustin
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by dustin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey thanks guys. I'll keep spraying the nut on the adjuster and see what happens. I hate using heat on things,(i'm not allowed to cook anymore even) but maybe thats what it will take.

I have the parts manual (book 727) and found the steering clutch housing blowup diagram on page 116. It looks like that's what you see right under the battery right under the seat. I don't see any parts that are adjustable... or where you would be able to see the brake bands. Do you take out one of the plugs?
I noticed on my machine the entire housing was cracked, and rewelded back together at some point long ago (repainted nice also). I wonder what would have cracked that... maybe it's cast metal?

I guess I was looking for part number XX 'steering adjustment' or something... am I blind?

Thanks!
Dustin
Minnesota