Clutch Drum Setscrew

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rakridge
MC crawler
MC crawler

Clutch Drum Setscrew

Post by rakridge » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:36 am

450B. Left Clutch inoperative and presumed rusted up. During disassembly I removed setscrew from clutch drum and noticed it was 'grooved' on the end, as if it had been forced back over splines on quill shaft. I know this screw is to fix clutch drum to quill shaft, but I cannot determine if lack of the setscrew, or in my case an apparent slipped screw, would allow the drum to move outward enough to render the clutch inoperative. Before disassemble I removed inspection cover and could watch the clutch mechanism operate (TO bearing move) but could not tell if release fingers were moving. Is there some 'stop' in the bottom of the drum splines where the quill shaft enters the drum that would prevent it from moving too far?
Bottom line question: without setscrew can there be lateral, outward movement of drum under force of TO bearing to eliminate clutching?

Hoping an expert out there has experience with this.
RAkridge
1973 450B

rakridge
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by rakridge » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:54 am

Answering my own question it looks like in the parts manual that there is a snap ring that goes in the drum for the shaft to 'stop' against. Any known problems with the ring jumping out?
RAkridge
1973 450B