John Deere 450c Track question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
redrock438
MC crawler
MC crawler

John Deere 450c Track question

Post by redrock438 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Our local Boy Scout Camp just obtained a JD 450C. They have ran it a few hours and the tracks need tightening. I instructed the ranger to pump the tracks with grease to tighten. There are grease fittings on the front of the "hydraulic" that expands the track. Sorry, dont know the proper name. Next to the grease fitting is a square plug. Take the plug off and the grease comes out, I assume this is letting the pressure off the tracks and pushing the grease out.

Now the issue. we have tried to pump grease into the fittings and and it will not take any and the tracks wont expand. Remove the plug next to it and the grease comes out. Does this sound like a familiar problem? The machine had set for a while but if the tracks loosened, shouldnt they tighten? I'm looking online for manuals as we speak.

I have a JD350 and my tracks are easily tightented by this method...

many thanks

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi Redrock-welcome to the board.

First thing for future reference, a 450C is considered a "late model" crawler on this board so if you have future questions about the 450C it is probably better to post in that topic forum.

Having said that, hydraulic track adjusters are common even to some of the early models like a 2010 so I can give you some ideas on where to start.

My first question would be: How far is the adjuster currently extended? It could be that your tracks are severely worn and the adjuster is physically fully extended and is not capable of extending further even though the track is loose. You would be able to tell by looking at where the front idler (wheel) slides along the trackframe (the long frame that holds the bottom rollers). If it is at the end (front) of that frame then it is fully adjusted.

Second, it is possible that the adjuster is internally siezed (stuck) and that when you try to pump grease it is just building up behind the release (square) plug. Unless a lot of air is in it, each stroke of the grease gun on the zerk fitting should result in a small increae (extension) of the adjusting rod. Do you see that? If siezed, it would be good to see if you can first collapse the adjuster fully and then try expanding it again. There are a couple of ways to collapse if seized- if a dozer can push back using the blade hydraulics with a fixed beam in between. If a loader can use another piece of equipment such as skid steer bucket to push rearward or a come along. Obviously you haver to remove the release plug when doing so and you will get a lot of grease pushed out (see third comment). If you can get it to retract, oftentimes it will then be able to expand again as long as internal seals are not shot. before doing so, make sure any adhered dirt on the adjusting rod is cleared off so you don't ruin you dust seal and grease seals on the adjuster.

Third, some of the adjusters (OEM) have a small steel check ball just behind the fitting. If the fitting was removed and grease pushed out, you may have lost the check ball which will then make it difficult to pressurize.

Worst case- if seized you can always purchase rebuild seals for the adjuster or get an aftermarket adjuster. They are available but can be pricey- but if you are under a time deadline this can be the best choice.

Hope this helps, and others will probably weigh in on this.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:10 pm

looks like you said that the tracks loosened when you turned the release bolt if that's true then your zerks are plugged get two new ones and dig out any old hard packed grease that might be behind the old zerks and it should work good luck and welcome aboard
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper