What did you learn while rebuilding your crawler?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
mhaskell
MC crawler
MC crawler

What did you learn while rebuilding your crawler?

Post by mhaskell » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:01 pm

I was given a basket case 420C and my plan is to tear it down this winter and get it workable for the woods again.

I know there are alot of people on the boards that have done this before, and learned a few tips and tricks along the way. Any advice before I jump in?

Thanks!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:44 pm

When in doubt, FIX it, once back together, you would rather light it on fire than tear it all down again. By and large, any shortcut taken on a crawler will eventually bite you square in the ass some day down the road, so don't take chances. Once everything if fixed correctly, the odds of having to do any major repairs again as long as you own the crawler are much smaller. Not that other things can't break down the road, but at least it will not be due to lack or maintenance and repair.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

woodsman
40C crawler
40C crawler

Rebuild

Post by woodsman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Very, very good advice Lavoy. Put nothing back together that's not exactly like it was the day it was assembled at the factory.
Martin
1-1010 crawler with 6 way blade; International 510 loader on rubber; Kubota KH-61 excavator
Did have:
5-1010 crawlers; 3-1010 loaders

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:39 pm

A crawler will treat you well if you keep it maintained. You wont get your money out of it if you modify the tractor, even though it may make it a better tractor. You can easily sink more money into a crawler than what it is worth. Repair it if you plan to keep it for the rest of your life.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4