Magnetic Block Heater...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Magnetic Block Heater...

Post by Frankdozer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:57 am

Since this will be my first winter with my 1984 John Deere 455D Track Loader, besides normal maintenance, what can I due to assure it will start in the cold weather......... I don't want to install an in line coolant heater so how about a magnetic block heater.........Do I have to be concerned about the trany and final drives.....Or Magnetic block heater only ? I will ony use it above 0 degrees. Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:41 am

Good batteries and just wind it over. She will fire. Heaters are nice, but if your avoiding a coolant heater? I wouldnt bother. Maybe put a trickle charger on the batteries. Or even a solar charger.

Something like this if you have a cigarette lighter outlet.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200514338

At $39, its well worth the expense. Good if your using your batteries at a tractor show. That way your vehicle doesnt need a jump start at the end of the show.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:47 am

My bad. Linked the wrong one. The one above is for electronic devices. This one has all the right cables.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200578629

only $19
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:02 am

I use the magnetic block heaters on the oil pan of my air cooled skid steers and they work just fine on those small engines. I cover the engine up with a small blanket so that the heads will warm up some, and it takes way longer than the tank heater on my Deere. Over night usually. I also use battery warmers, their like heating pads that are made to wrap around the battery. I have one on most of the vehicles that we have. They are common around here and nice to have when the temp gets to -30. You are likely not starting your Deere at that temp but even at 0 degrees batteries have a lot more cold cranking power when warmed up.

On the Skid steers I put one of my magnetic heaters on the hydraulic oil tank, otherwise it takes quite a while of engine running before the bucket works smoothly when the temperature is really cold. The tank never does gets warm, the heaters just do not have enough power, but it makes a difference if left on over night.

I will always keep my propane tiger torch nearby in case I need to start something in short order or, if it was left where their is no power close by. I have a 6 foot length of chimney pipe with an elbow on one end that, with the torch in the other end to keep the flames away from the equipment, will start most anything in half an hour. Long ago I melted all the plastic parts of a Mazda engine real bad, after a new years eve party, when the babysitters car would not start. So I learned the expensive way, that a lot of caution is needed when using the torch to heat up things.

The electric battery blankets also work well when wrapped around a 20 lb. propane tank that is too cold to work otherwise.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Tank heater

Post by JWB Contracting » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:26 pm

I would not mess with anything other than a tank heater. At -30 Celsius our 450c will start without using either. And at plus 20 cold it needs either so the engine is not that great of shape. It actually melts the snow on the hood. When you let your foot of the clutch you'll be very surprised at the amount of power it takes to turn the transmission over!!

We have tried the magnetic heaters in the past with no success.

Any reason why you want to stay away from them?
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Tried a magnetic heater several times on a two cylinder Wisconsin auger engine. Not sure if you could have melted snow off of the side of the block, but if so, just barely.
If you don't want to put a tank heater on it, then I would put a 500 watt or larger silicone pad heater on the oil pan, but nothing beats a coolant heater.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:52 pm

I just realized that my 455D has the starting fluid starting aid. After a few revolutions of the engine, you press the button on the dash in short intervals and the engine starts immedietly. I think that button along with a magnetic block heater I'll be OK....HMMMM.................What do you think? Thanks, Frank

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

Frank, how cold does it get where you are?

Many of us like me, could get a really big snow, get stuck, or a tree blow down across the driveway etc. and if it is -35 or +35 the equipment needs to start.

It is not even a remote chance that I would depend on a magnetic heater for anything I drive except a small air cooled engine that cannot be otherwise fitted with a good heater. We need tank heaters and the magnetic ones are not even on the list of options here, if it is a water cooled engine. All of our cars, vans trucks... everything, has at least a block heater. ( the same as a tank heater but installed into a plug hole, directly into the block of the engine.) I think I can speak for every one of us in the cold climates that, if you want to be sure it will start, we wouldn't settle for less, on any vehicle.

So your question needs to be qualified, how cold does it get where you are?
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:24 am

Where I'm at in Bridgton, Maine normal winter is around 0 to 15 above 0. But the first weeks in January get to minus 10 to minus 15 below 0. I'm now convinced to scrap the magnetic block heater idea. Moving on...... what's better...... a block heater that goes into a freeze plug / cast plug.......or a lower radiator hose heater............or install a whole new heater system which goes from a lower drain plug on the block to the temperature sending unit port on top of the block? Thanks, Frank

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:23 am

Your engine probably does not have a freeze plug, so that option is out I would guess. Lower hose heaters are only one step above a magnetic heater, and in most engines, won't warm anything more than the radiator somewhere. Best option is a tank heater. My temps are the same as yours to a little lower at times, and we have started tractors since well before my time on tank heaters. Unless you get way back to the flatheads, then dad always talked aobut the old head bolt heaters. Never used one in my time, but did remember one as kid in some engine we had.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com