MC Battery Ground

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
snoopy
440 crawler
440 crawler

MC Battery Ground

Post by snoopy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

I have been getting by with a bad battery for years and have been jumping with 12 volts. Decided to get with it and fix the problem with a new 6 volt battery. Got battery and installed and broke the ground cable cable terminal. then I realized that it was a 12 volt cable, went to parts house and got a good 6 volt braided grand cable. got it installed and while cranking I saw sparks fly from the top of the pedistal to the hood, it was cranking real slow!.

I got a 18" long braided ground strap and ran it from the grounded battery cable to the trans housing and now it cranks like if I was using 12 volts. I recon the connection between the pedistal and the main housing is pretty rusted up. Probably never been off since 1949. Bolts would most likely break if I tried to remove them.
Just thought I would pass this along to remind people that you need good ground connections if you want them to crank right.
Merry Christmas!
1949 MC
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Willyr
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Willyr » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:00 pm

Your best place for the ground is usually a starter bolt. As the starter will have the greatest amperage draw.

The fact you saw sparks is a statement that you did not clean where the ground was connected. A poor ground or connection where serious amps are used will result in sparks.

On my 420, I replaced all the starter wiring with copper wire (forgot the OT size, it was 1/2 inch diameter) and plug soldered the ends. I also used the brass terminals over the lead ones for better connectivity.
former owner of a 1956 420c
All help is greatly appreciated.

Proud owner of a project 1952 JD 60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFehqXVd9z4