6 Volt Headlight Bulbs

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am

Paul Buhler wrote:Ray or others: Can you help me out? I understand the formula below, and I'm looking at installing a pair of 6 volt, 35 watt halogen utility lights. If I do the math, I expect that they will draw approx 6 amp each, for a total draw of 12 amps (I'm only using two lights on this circuit - the rear light will be switched separately, and used sporadically). Using Ray's information, this leaves 1 amp for charging when the two lights are on. Can I boost the generator output in some way, or will this system work ok? I only need the lights infrequently. Any other thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks, Paul
You should be fine, it's adding 2 higher power lights in addition to the 2 stock lights that I don't think will work.

The generator is physically capable of 20 amps, but it has to do with the regulator how much is actually drawn. Factory specification is 15 amp and I have never seen my gauge go over that for battery charging, though I have no lights installed to see what happens with them on.