Help with crawler NEWbie

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bfielder
MC crawler
MC crawler

Help with crawler NEWbie

Post by bfielder » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm

Hello JDcrawlers..............my grandfather has what I think is a 1010 john deere crawler. It has not ran in 15 years and there is a coffee can covering the exhaust stack to not let water in the motor. From what he has told me my uncle had ran the crawler to high and may have messed up the clutches but that's a project at a later time......but here is the thing I want to get it at least running for him he's 85 years old and his hands aren't what they use to be....... he's a war vet and retired from edison and also ford............ So with that said where should I start with trying to get it going again????? I am a gearhead but I want some help...so could someone help me with some sort of checklist of things for me to go over to bring Betty back to life........ what kind of battery, and fluids to use in her, cleaning the rust off the hyd cylinders how to's ... anything would help.....oh yes almost forgot she's a diesel......

That's fellow crawlers
Trash to Treasures......

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:48 am

I would drain the fuel and at least put some fresh fuel with no water in the fuel tank, also maybe fuel filters. Check all the fluids, again would probably replace at least the engine oil in case of water contamination.
1000CCA should do it for a battery, but the most critical thing I would get first is a service manual and read up on the crawler.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

help with crawler newbie

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 am

You should NOT use starting fluid. This model JD diesel has glow plugs and a primer to assist starting. Starting fluid can easily damage the engine. Good luck, gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Bfield-

Like Lavoy said, reading the service manual (or the operator's manual) will help you understand the basics of the systems on the 1010 and what items are routine service items (filters, fluids, etc.). Lavoy nailed the minimal service needs. A few others to look for is proper glow plug operation and free flow of fuel from tank to injection pump and back. Like Greg said, you really shouldn't use ether on these engines or risk major damage.

Once you get running, you will be in a better position to assess the condition of the reverser and steering clutches.

I would supplement reading the manuals by doing some reading on this website with archived threads- just do a search for "1010" AND "maintenance" and see what pops up.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment