Corn head grease in final drives/Upper idler question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
58440IC
40C crawler
40C crawler

Corn head grease in final drives/Upper idler question

Post by 58440IC » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi guys, I used to be a member of the site but then after a major computer/internet provider change we lost most of our passwords and user names. I have a 58 440IC that I just put one new steering clutch in and main clutch in. It was stuck when I got her for 500.00 and I got her freed up then rebuild the head. She runs great now. She sat parked for years and badly needed adjustments and maintenance. I have the other clutch to throw in after I swap all my lower rollers for new 1010 ones off my parts rig and build up the front idler rails. I have been taking a long time to work on it and misplaced my books. I have three main questions:

1. What oil weight goes in the final drives?

2. Will the 1010 upper idler work on my 440 if I swap out the carrier to the lower profile one? It is pretty wide, do I need to grind it a little to make the center drop down into the rails?

3. I put corn head grease in all my rollers, would you recommend it in the final drives or would it be too thick and not provide enough lubrication?

Thanks for your help as always.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Final drives are 90 wt gear lube, I run 75W-90 synthetic.
Run the 1010 upper idler as it, 440's eventually changed to that idler bracket too, idler itself is the same.
Corn head grease way too thick for final drives.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

58440IC
40C crawler
40C crawler

Idler is too big

Post by 58440IC » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Okay, I should have checked sooner but now I put new shaft and bushings in the 1010 idler/bracket. I bolted it up and it seems huge. It makes the track ride about 4 inches higher than the 440 one. Is this normal? The idler is so large. I can take pics of it if needed. I have a model 91 loader on it and it will not hit anything but looks like a high track model now. Am I okay? I work on it as I can afford and have time so it is going slow. Thanks Lavoy for your help.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:01 am

The later upper idler supports on the 440 are the same as the 1010. On the earlier ones, they came out with a spacer to raise them up a little bit. It gives them a little more incentive for the uppper idler to turn to help cut down on flat spotting.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

58440IC
40C crawler
40C crawler

Looks better than I feared

Post by 58440IC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:41 pm

It actually looks pretty good up tall like that. Hopefully I can fire her up and flip her around to do the other side this week. Anxious to actually have clutches and brakes for once. Thanks again Lavoy. I will pester you with the next problem soon. :D