450 track adjustment

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
little1406
420 crawler
420 crawler

450 track adjustment

Post by little1406 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

My last post was "450 track snap". I decided my tracks were a bit looser than spec and injected some grease into the Zerk and was pleased to see the front idler move obediently along the rail. But I got them too tight.

Both the operator's manual and the service manual for the 450 (no following letter), say "To loosen track, first loosen jam nut on set screw of track adjusting cylinder. Then turn set screw counterclockwise a slight amount to relieve track tension. As pressure is relieved, grease will run out of hole in bottom of cylinder."

When I look at my track adjustment cylinder, that description makes little sense to me. Instead my track grease Zerk is installed on a 3/4" hex boss that looks like the head of a standard 1/2" bolt, maybe a little taller. I discovered that just loosening that hex a bit allows grease to squirt out of a hole in the FRONT of the cylinder....so that it squirted onto the front idler wheel.

Anyway, with the tension properly set, I don't encounter that track snap anymore. That, or I'm learning to drive this thing so that doesn't happen (turning gradually, etc.).

My tracks are pretty well worn. Someday, I'll take some quality pictures and post them here for expert evaluation. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying having this machine running more-or-less properly.

BTW, I passed two important milestones recently:

1. I've now spent more hours operating the 450 than repairing it.

2. It now uses more diesel fuel than hydraulic fluid.

Yay!
Scott Little
Dale TX

JD 450 w/ backhoe attachment

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:06 am

Well Heck! Lets throw a party!!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Jack-the-Ripper
430 crawler
430 crawler

Track snap

Post by Jack-the-Ripper » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:01 am

One reason for track snap is worn track rail ("chain") and sprocket. The tooth initially hits the rollers on the track "chain" rather than the space in between. Sharply pointed sprocket teeth are one indication of excessive wear. I think there is a measurement spec'ed for the track "chain" as well. The tracks get longer as their rollers wear.

Alas, tracks and sprockets are heavy wear items that need replacement every so often even with the most careful use, and these are quite old machines now.
JD450C (Jack the Ripper), JD450B (Jill the Wench), KomatsuPC120 (Ursa, The Big Dipper), Case580E (Ida Hoe), International 4400 Dump Truck

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Love those statements :lol:
- I think many of us can relate..

Keep that up and the old work horse may be worthy of some new paint.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

kedorland
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by kedorland » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:
Love those statements :lol:
- I think many of us can relate..

Keep that up and the old work horse may be worthy of some new paint.
That is hilarious.

Is a great benchmark to keep in the back of our minds.

Kevin
1975 450C. 1977 450CA loader, with winch and log arch. Is true..tracked equipment is addicting.