New member and new owner

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
petehdgs
40C crawler
40C crawler

New member and new owner

Post by petehdgs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:14 am

I just took delivery of a JD 40C crawler s/n 65119. I looked at your site and according to your serial numbner records, this tractor was built in 1954. That is correct, right?

I am looking to have rubber pads mounted on the tracks so I can use this tractor in parades. I may also want the existing track reconditioned, or a new track installed. This tractor has a four roller underframe and 30 links per side. Any suggestions? I live near Fredericksburg, VA.

I am also building a shed to store this tractor out of the weather. Since I am new to owning a crawler, any advice or suggestions suggestions would be appreciated.

Pete
William "Pete" Hodges
Spotsylvania VA 22553
JD 40C 65119 4-roller

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

There are no rubber pads available other than fabrication something yourself. If you have 30 links, someone has removed a link, 4 roller crawler should be 31 or 32 links depending on front idler size.
No new tracks available other than converting to 350 rails, pads, and sprocket rims. Your old rails could be rebushed however.
General rule of sheds is figure out how big you need, then double it, and you will only miss by half.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com