MC block

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul Koski
420 crawler
420 crawler

MC block

Post by Paul Koski » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

I am looking at possible purchase of a disassembled MC crawler and the engine block has surface rust on the top of the block as well as on the cylinder walls.
My question is: What is the best way to remove the rust without damaging the block? Block is not pitted, just heavy surface rust. How should I check the block surface for flatness? Since there is no water pump on this engine is there a problem with the internal parts of the block? ie. cleaning the crud out?
As long as I am at it. Would plasti gage be good enough to check the crank journal or should I find a micrometer to check for wear and roundness?

Thanks in advance.
Give a man a fish and he will work another day, teach a man to fish and he may never work again!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Take the engine to a machine shop, have it cooked, magnafluxed and shot peened. The plane the block, and you know you are in good shape. Also mic the bores, they are normally out by .020 or more.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

soffiler
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: MC block

Post by soffiler » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 am

Paul Koski wrote:...
As long as I am at it. Would plasti gage be good enough to check the crank journal or should I find a micrometer to check for wear and roundness?

Thanks in advance.
If you are trying to decide if your crank needs to be reground, yes, you need a micrometer. One that reads to 0.0001". The Plastigage will only tell you what the bearing clearance is, in the spot that you use it.
Best regards,
Steve O.
1958 440IC w/ blade (602?)

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm

If there are any groves on the crank it is time to grind.

Duke