1010 Steering clutch question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JAJ
420 crawler
420 crawler

1010 Steering clutch question

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 am

I just got both finals put back on after a total rebuild by a not so experienced mechanic (ME). The left works great, the right not so much. The right will stall the engine unless it is in low gear, then it will stop the sprocket from turning but it does moan a lot. The left sprocket keeps on turning through out this exercise as it should. The one thing I noticed was when adjusting the steering clutches and brakes, the right had to be adjusted nearly to end of the adjuster travel. Kinda like I missed one of the plates but I have no left over parts and the plate count was the same on both sides. I am very sure (not positive) that I used the same procedure on both assemblies. I used one of Lavoy's clutch adjusting gauges, all new parts EXCEPT the clutch steel and fiber plates. I debated, but after checking plate thickness and warp-age all were looking great and well within spec, no oil issues.
I will be pulling the right side off to see what may have went wrong.
Any suggestions what to specifically look for? Other then a better mechanic.
Thank you very much,
Jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 am

Make sure you have enough freeplay in the steering lever so you have full pressure on the discs.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

before you pull it apart check your throw out bearing ajustment and make sure that it didn't slip on you. take the little cover off and watch if it is hitting the pressure plate after you pull the lever about an inch and a half if not ajust it. also make sure your brake isn't to tight but probaly not if it slid on while you where putting it back together.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:59 pm

sounds like the right is not releasing all the way like the is to much free play on the throw out bearing
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper