MC driveshaft pin

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Big Bad John
40C crawler
40C crawler

MC driveshaft pin

Post by Big Bad John » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:19 pm

Is there a way to get the pin in the driveshaft on a MC without splitting the center section away from the rear? What purpose does the pin serve other than to stop the drive shaft from moving rearward and disengaging the pilot? Would it be feasable to build a small spacer to install inside the rear coupling to stop any rearward movement...(after correct thickness is calculated to prevent pushing against the flywheel / crankshaft)?

Apparently a past owner had forgotten to reinstall the pin. I hate to split the assembly because looks like I will have to undo all the hydraulic lines (it has the internal cylinders). The lines will eventually all get replaced...but budget will not allow at the moment.

Thanks for any input...BBJ
1952 John Deere MC, 1960 John Deere 4010 turbo'd diesel

mapaduke@yahoo.com
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by mapaduke@yahoo.com » Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 am

I believe that the pin is to aid in the engine removal and insulation it keeps the shaft engaged with the input shaft of the trans while pulling the engine out and keeps it in place when aligning the clutch for engine installation.
seeing that your shaft comes out you may want to take a good look at the spline for the input shaft. they tend to have a lot of wear in them and could be why the pin is missing?
Good luck Ron
nothing crawles like a deere

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am

They will only go so far rearward anyway, but will come forward some, and reduce the amount of spline contact you have. Not going to hurt anything in the short term, but I would definitely look at it when you have the time.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Big Bad John
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Big Bad John » Wed May 01, 2013 1:39 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

The driveshaft actually feels relatively tight on the input shaft of the transmission. There is some play but not enough to cause me any alarm. It is good to know that I can reassemble without having to split at the moment.

I've got the little engine back together after having the rods turned on the crankshaft. Believe it or not the machine shop actually had a set of rod bearings in stock. I bet they were glad to get them off the books...LOL The little engine also has a fresh glossy coat of Classic Green (JD brand) on it now. Hope to get it stabbed back on the frame this weekend.

Thanks again...BBJ
1952 John Deere MC, 1960 John Deere 4010 turbo'd diesel