440ICD Cooling fan bearings

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Paul Koski
420 crawler
420 crawler

440ICD Cooling fan bearings

Post by Paul Koski » Thu May 30, 2013 9:47 am

Does anyone know what the procedure is to change the fan bearings on the 440 diesel crawler. It has the 2-53 Detroit and the fan is a little loose.
Does the radiator have to be removed?

Thanks in advance

PJK
Give a man a fish and he will work another day, teach a man to fish and he may never work again!

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:36 pm

Not sure of the procedure, but I'd almost guarantee the radiator has to be removed. There's barely enough room to get into the bolts that hold the fan on, let alone get the fan out of there.
Good luck
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Paul Koski
420 crawler
420 crawler

440ICD cooling fan bearings

Post by Paul Koski » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello folks,

Well I managed to get the fan bracket and fan out by pushing the radiator forward after loosening top hose and mounts. Now the problem I have is that when attempting to press the pulley off I broke the cast pulley and also the top mounting tab bracket, not to mention the bearings and shaft that are are also bad. Needless to say I am looking for a good used fan pulley assembly including the bracket, pulley, shaft etc.. I believe the part number to be 5123279 according to the parts book. If anyone has one please let me know.
Thanks,

PJK
Give a man a fish and he will work another day, teach a man to fish and he may never work again!

Paul Koski
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 440ICD cooling fan bearings

Post by Paul Koski » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Paul Koski wrote:Hello folks,

Well I managed to get the fan bracket and fan out by pushing the radiator forward after loosening top hose and mounts. Now the problem I have is that when attempting to press the pulley off I broke the cast pulley and also the top mounting tab bracket, not to mention the bearings and shaft that are are also bad. Needless to say I am looking for a good used fan pulley assembly including the bracket, pulley, shaft etc.. I believe the part number to be 5123279 according to the parts book. If anyone has one please let me know.
Thanks,

PJK

O.K. I managed to find a used fan pulley assembly, hopefully the bearing will be satisfactory.
Thanks for all the help