420 quill assembly problems

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wildbillx8
MC crawler
MC crawler

420 quill assembly problems

Post by wildbillx8 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 pm

hello, i'm new to the forum, my friend has a 420 crawler and we have taken the final drives off about 4 times trying to figure out why it wont steer left. first things first, there was some parts rattling around in there so thats why we took it apart the first time. we found broken springs and a broken sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on in the left side. the right side works fine. so we had a machinist make new sleeves and put them in both sides then put it back together. still didnt work right, when you pull back the left lever it makes a click, so i got a flashlight and looked thru the inspection cover and the throwout bearing and quill assembly starts to cam out on the three ballbearings then it clicks and looks like the throwout bearing is starting to move away from the fingers on the pressure plate, kinda of like its going back the other way. does anybody know why this is happening? i need help on this subject. we have been having a hard time with this and we even ordered a sm2019 service manual only to find out all the sections were not in the book! thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. :roll:

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420 quill assembly problems

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:20 pm

wildbillx8 wrote:and we even ordered a sm2019 service manual only to find out all the sections were not in the book! thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. :roll:
I unfortunately can't answer your specific repair quesitons, but I do know the reason that you don't see portions of the repair components is because Deere only included changes not in the previous model (i.e. the 40 manual may have the missing items). Someone else can probably explain this better than me.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 pm

If the lever is coming back that far, you are drastically out of adjustment.
All adjustment procedures for steering clutches are included in SM2019, only sections I know of missing are some engine specs maybe. Read through the entire rebuild section again, you are missing something.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Gil
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Gil » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Unfortunately you will probably need to take off the finals for a fifth time.

It sounds like you need to adjust your clutch pressure plate. You are overdriving the bearing carrier and the three balls are coming out of the cups they rest in. That is what causes the clicking sound.

Lavoy sells a tool to measure the proper adjustment of the clutch pressure plate fingers. The springs you found were from the pressure plate and it probably has to be replaced. If you cannot get the proper adjustment, you may also need some new fiber disks. Gil
JD440-ICD loader; JD440-IC bulldozer; JD440-ICD backhoe; JD440-I backhoe; JD440-I tractor; + five recumbent JD440-ICs

wildbillx8
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wildbillx8 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:50 pm

i guess i should of explained a little better, the service manual we ordered was a reprint and all the sections were not in the manual. got ahold of the company and they sent me the missing pages. now things make more sence. i believe our crawler project is out of adjustment and will start there first. the springs were from the throwout bearing assembly and we replaced them also. thanks for all the info everybody. if i need parts, where is a good place to get them from?
quote" remember, i'm pulling for ya, were all in this together." ----red green.

vtjoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

parts

Post by vtjoe » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:10 am

Lavoy he is guy that responded above... he is the site admin and he has ALL kinds of parts
1957 420C four roll since 1982