40C Fan Assembly

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

40C Fan Assembly

Post by original possum » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:03 pm

The fan bearing in my 40C is going out and the driven fan (not generator)pulley is cracked. The only assemblies I can find have an "improved" wider drive belt which doesn't match my crankshaft pulley. What is the solution? Is there a way to replace the bearing (I can weld the pulley)?
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:39 am

Yes, the fans you are finding are for MC, not 40 even though some suppliers say they fit 40.
Best bet is to take the rivets out that hold the fan blade to the hub, and if I remember correctly, there is a snap ring down inside. Remove the snap ring, and you should be able to press out the bearing and install a new one. Then rivet the fan back to the hub.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 am

I can see clearly into the hub inside the blades but cannot see a snap ring. There are two upsets in the fan hub that are against a Federal FS 1199 bearing (seized). Removing the blades will not expose a snap ring but simply give me the view that I already have. Is it to support better and you just press the upsets away from the bearing by pressing the end of the axle and supporting the hub? The other end of the axle (1" threaded end) shows no junctions where it could come apart. The outer end of the axle appears to have a head on it so the axle must "split" somehow to get a bearing on it.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:28 pm

Axle is part of the bearing, no way to separate. Pulling the blade is for better access to press the bearing out. Snap ring is on the side with the threaded piece which is moved onto the new bearing once installed.
Check page 20-1 in the 40 parts book.
Lavoy

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Since I can't find a reasonably-priced assembly (cheapest is $638 or $800 from JD) nor can I find a pulley with two narrow belts, I'm going to soak it in PowerUp, weld the pulley, and run it. Don't want to risk the only available pulley/assembly pressing the unit apart.

boler76
430 crawler
430 crawler

water pump bearing lube

Post by boler76 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

If you are going to try to reuse the pump and bearing I have put the whole assembly in a pail of grease then heated it up till grease melts, it will run into bearing to some degree and lube it, Works for me on some things, just an idea

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:27 am

You are risking a radiator by running it. It is not hard to press the bearing out.
Lavoy

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Lavoy, I've considered that. The pulley was welded to repair it in the middle of a job "just to finish" several years ago and is hanging in there. Looking at the parts book, I would have to press the threaded end off the axle, remove the rubber washer to access the snap ring, remove the snap ring, and press the bearing out the end where the threaded part was. Simple IF the threaded end pushes off easily without deforming its shoulder. That's the risk I want to avoid. I can weld the expanded pulley crack easily enough and hope someone reproduces the 40 assembly before this one craters. I appreciate your concern AND assistance.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:04 pm

40 fans are not at all scarce as far as used ones. I don't have any left I don't think, but someone does. Buy a used one and rebuild it.
Lavoy