Just Bought 440 IC - Throttle, Governor, Idle Questions

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bigjermsgarage
MC crawler
MC crawler

Just Bought 440 IC - Throttle, Governor, Idle Questions

Post by bigjermsgarage » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 pm

Last week I got the itch to buy my first crawler (1959 JD 440IC) and joined this forum a couple days later. All this week I have been reading posts and enjoying this site. My brother and I have some questions that we can't find on the internet or in the service manual I received in the mail today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Previous owner said that he rebuilt the carb but I find it weird that the first start of the day always requires a squirt of starter fluid into the carb. That's what he had to do. Is this normal? The choke cable does not seem to function smoothly, but it does work and the rear spark plug area is wet so now I feel the rings could be the starting problem. Or maybe when I straighten out the choke cable it will start easier. Any ideas?

2. The crawler does start, but has a very high idle when it starts and the throttle lever has little to no effect on the high idle. We pulled the hood off and all of the throttle and governor linkage seem to move freely with no binding. What should the rpms be when this thing starts or at idle? We are used to motorcycle engines idling low, but maybe this thing is completely different.

3. The throttle lever is held in the 12 o clock position by the springs and that is the farthest up it will go. The lever when moved counter clockwise will only move to about the 10 o clock position. While moving the lever down it does not push the carburetor linkage back until the lever reaches the 11 o clock position. Since this lever does very little and it's has a very high idle we are thinking this thing is stuck in the full throttle position. Should the throttle lever always rest in the 12 o clock position or does the governor pull it down to keep in the idle position? What starts to happen when the governor goes bad? Maybe we have the throttle setup figured out wrong also. We thought the lever would be down for less throttle and pushed up for full throttle. I know that is probably a simple question, but the way it's acting has us baffled.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm rambling and thanks for any assistance.
Checkout Bigjermsgarage on youtube!

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Look at the carb and see the set screw on the side toward the engine. That is the screw to adjust the idle. If all the linkage is adjusted correctly just unscrew that screw till the idle is where you like it.
Happy wrenching and welcome to the site!

Duke

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:38 am

Clockwise is throttle up.
Left is throttle down.
The late 440IC I own goes 10 slow idle 1 wide open.
There is a sequence for setting up the linkage in the service manual.

The choke when it is able to close properly is usually all you need with good gas.
If you are concerned about rings etc give er a compression test.

Duke

bigjermsgarage
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bigjermsgarage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 am

Duke, Thanks for the quick response.

bigjermsgarage
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by bigjermsgarage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:24 am

Duke, should the throttle be able to stay in the position I place it in or does it always spring to the 12 o clock position which is full throttle?

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 am

The throttle should stay...
Not many of them do.
There are friction disks on the shaft. Some are above the engine. Others have them just below the dash.

Duke

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:07 am

Lavoy probably has the friction discs to hold throttle position. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 am

A lot of the time, the universal joint in the throttle shaft is worn, that doesn't help matters either.
Yes, I have the friction discs on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Flurrdogg
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Flurrdogg » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:49 am

bigjermsgarage
Try googling Detroit 53 series manual and some free one's should possibly pop up, Im assuming you have a 53 series detroit? I also have just purchased a 440 but mine is Diesel power and im going through blower problem's with mine right now. Good luck on the tune up. I know tractor supply carries some of the gas tractor parts you may need take a look on line.
john deere ICD 440 Crawler... Got problems starting..

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 pm

The throttle handle operates thru the governor. Giving a little throttle may push the carburetor to wide open. Those engines start better at idle, but you also may need to choke it if its cold. Sounds like your governor is working. Wet AROUND the plug is usually the rocker cover gasket. You should have to pull the plug to see oil from blowby unless the plug gasket is leaking. Make sure your throttle butterfly shaft is tight and sealed. An air leak there will cause a lean mixture on starting.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way