1010 Diesel engine oil pump

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jason Z in MO
430 crawler
430 crawler

1010 Diesel engine oil pump

Post by Jason Z in MO » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Some time ago I removed the engine from my 1010 dozer to begin the rebuild. I'm putting the engine back together now with a new sleeve deck, pistons, reconditioned rods, ground crankshaft, etc. While rebuilding the oil pump I found it was beyond clearances so I picked up a good used pump. There are 2 issues I'm trying to resolve.

1. Pressure regulator - The service manual mentions adding shims to increase the pressure. The parts book shows "approx. 6 used". My original pump has 7. The new/used pump has 6. I didn't plan to build a test stand to run the engine before re-installing and I sure don't want to pull it to adjust the oil pressure. The new pump had a much better spring than the old but I will probably buy a new one from Deere to insure it has good tension. Will 6 shims be correct?

2. Oil Pickup casting - the new pump has a shorter pickup casting, I think it came off a 1010 wheel tractor, so I have to use my old one. However, the drive gear wore a ring into the casting a few thousands. I plan to have it ground to remove the wear. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue?

I will take some pictures and measure the casting wear in the morning.

Thank you all!

Jason Z in MO
1010D D 6-way hydro blade w/ 3point, 1010D C/L, 350c C/L, JD B, JD 50, JD 520, JD 720LP, JD 4020, JD 4230