New member from North Carolina, introduction.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Icardjack
MC crawler
MC crawler

New member from North Carolina, introduction.

Post by Icardjack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 am

Hello, I'm a new member who recently purchased a JD 440 ICD loader. I've been looking through your forum picking up some tips and it looks like there are some knowledgeable people here on this site.
A little about me: I'm a 57 year old electro/mechanical maintenance man with a small 17 acre farm. I spent the last five years finishing off my bachelor's degree in electrical engineering during which time my pastures grow out of control with small pines and wild cherry trees.
I sold all my beef cattle when I started back to school and now I need to get the land back into shape. Buying the loader was cheaper than having some one clean the place up for me in the long run.
I've had and worked on plenty of farm equipment over the years, 4000 Ford Diesel, Allis Chalmers Gleaner Combine, Hay equipment and the like. Nothing new, usually this equipment was on what the old own thought was it last leg, but I made it work for what I needed it for.
I have a fair shop with the normal tools, press, Lincoln 225 welder, cutting torches, air compressor, cherry pickers, engine stands. I can use the mill, lathe, surface grinder, and hydraulic hose maker at the job in my off time.
So, with your help, and some more $, I think we can get this loader in great shape.
Tie your dreams to a horse that will never tire. (Sting)

Icardjack
MC crawler
MC crawler

Now about the crawler!

Post by Icardjack » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 am

I bought this machine out of Craigslist from a guy that buys equipment at auctions, pressure washes them and paints over everything he missed. It is now Caterpillar gold:( Engine runs and sounds great, hydraulic all work good, and no leaks yet. The left track is good and tight with plenty of room for adjustment., The right side is with in tolerance, but never the end of adjustment. The left tensioning spring is broke, spotted a couple on e-bay. I'll try to adjust the steering brake/clutches on the left side, but more than likely, I'll have to drop $500 on that problem. The Reverser handle is non-existent on this unit. I am not sure if I need the function, we will discuss that later.
I'm doing a complete fluid change right now. Spent about $150 at Tractor Supply on oils and grease. Bought a new muffler and top hat there also. Found key switch, fuel petcock, and filters at NAPA. Fuel filter NAPA # 3513, Oil filter NAPA # 1100. Replacing all fuel and oil hoses, and rounded off fittings.
The JD 440 ICD serial number is 450700, the 831 loader serial is 1883.
Tie your dreams to a horse that will never tire. (Sting)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:13 am

Sounds like you have a good start. Once you operate the machine for a while, you will find any shortcomings in a hurry.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:21 pm

Welcome to the board! We can certainly try to answer any questions you have. Having said that, there is a lot of detailed information in the older (archived) threads, so many of the questions that arise may have already come up. The search function at the top right makes it easier to find those than scrolling through the chronological presentation in the discussion focums. If you ever need help finding those discussions on a particular subject, just let us know.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

whiteclipse16
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by whiteclipse16 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:48 am

Welcome to the board and good luck with your ICD. It should be a good machine. Don't use too much starting fluid when getting her to start.
When changing the fuel filter, be sure to check that it's sealing. Some have had issues with the filter being too short, me being one of them.
I never found a filter to fit properly so I made a small spacer and cut a cork gasket and all seems to be well.
Get yourself the parts catalog which is free at jdparts.com and the 2 service manuals, one is for the crawler and one is for the GM diesel engine.
Ben

Great Grandpa's 1960 440ICD 602 blade
Between SN's: 455,633 - 456,801
Currently Rebuilding/Restoring

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:03 am

You have a head start on some of us by having an education lol as long as you have time and energy I don't think you will have to much trouble when I started out the only kind of press I had was a pair of vice grips if I could find them and the education I got was by learning the hard way by taking it apart and doing it again there wasn't any website to help me out of course I have a friend that still doesn't want anything to do with computers that can out do about everybody seems everything he touches with his hands falls together like magic good luck

Icardjack
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thanks for the advise:)

Post by Icardjack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:50 am

The project is coming along slowly, but surely. Lots of Christmas stuff on the priority list right now. I keep finding myself in restore mode instead just a simple service job. Sandblasted a few parts. Wire brushed a few more. Repaint and new low pressure hose replacements. May go ahead and replace the main high pressure line from the pump the valve body while I have the belly pan off.

Left my eight point sockets at work, 35 miles up the road, don't let any body tell you some of these fancy one socket fits six bolt heads will work. Right tool for the right job. The hydraulic drain plug will just have to wait a few more days. She's in there tight and my longest 7/16th combination is flexing to much. Passions!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:30 am

That is the second problem with crawlers. First is they are an excuse to buy more crawlers, second is they are an excuse to buy more tools! :lol:
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 am

Hi,

And, those two items form a positive feedback loop until you cannot move in the shop due to all the tools, nor in the yard due to all the crawlers and parts!

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:44 pm

Then comes the negative loop as the wife calls the auctioneer, the mortician, and/or the boyfriend (not necessarily in that order). :lol:
Lavoy

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Never hurts to tell her you need more money for a bigger barn of course when I see a bigger barn then mine I never pass up the opertunity to let the wife know that the woman at that place really loves her husband because she let him build such a big barn of course I get that look

Icardjack
MC crawler
MC crawler

You fellows are determined to get me in trouble;)

Post by Icardjack » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:31 pm

I went back down to the garage a few minutes ago and searched through some tools left me by a great uncle. Found an eight point Armstrong 7/16 wrench. Your right about the need for a larger building or better organization. I more than likely have what I need, but where did I lay it?

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:43 pm

Welcome!!

Something to check. From your description of the seller, I noticed you mentioned one track was good with adjustment left and the other was nearly out of adjustment. Count the links on both sides. Maybe someone fixed or changed one side or maybe they removed a link. Sounds like a working machine

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:46 pm

When they get grumpy about the toys and tools.. just tell them you will get rid of them and spend more time in the house watching tv.. they will come around
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Icardjack
MC crawler
MC crawler

Getting in deeper!

Post by Icardjack » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 am

I counted the pads on both sides, 36 like they should be. I can tell there is a lot more wear on the side of the links that meets the sprocket and idlers on the right side. It should hold up to clear off the ten acres. I'll still consider the pins and bushings once I get most of my work done. I've read several of your articles on the subject. We have heat treating ovens at work, and a few guys that use them daily.

Once I got the hydraulic oil reservoir drained, I pulled the whole front end down. I've bead blasted the reservoir, diesel fuel tank, oil bath breather, radiator, dash panel, and all the small brackets and stuff attached to the engine.

Tractor Supply had the steel mesh filter replacement for the oil bath breather. (TSC Part Number 1012432) two packets required. Picked up new hoses for the radiator and hydraulic reservoir connections. Had to just walk back in the hose department and find hoses that had sections with the pre-formed bends I needed.

I bought new battery leads, and I have the rest of the stuff to rewire the tractor. It has the Delco alternator mounted on it, just need to wire it in as per the articles you fellows have pointed to. Not sure if the alternator is good, but I have several older Chevy trucks, so I'll get her working.

It is about to cold to paint anything right now, but I hope to start reassembling the machine in a few days. The starter is uncovered, so I'll check the brushes while I'm down there.

Does anyone know of a replacement element for the return filter in the hydraulic reservoir? The old one looks fair, but I'm in there, so!!