identify model

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
fordbroncodave
MC crawler
MC crawler

identify model

Post by fordbroncodave » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:36 pm

I am looking for a small dozer project to use at the farms and I came across one for sale on a local auction site that needs some help. I called the auction site and they were not able to identify if it was gas or diesel or what model it was.

Can someone tell me about this crawler and if it is worth looking into. The size is about right for what I will be doing.

Dave

10 john deere tractors and counting A's B's 60

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:14 pm

440 diesel, 1959 or 60.
You probably picked the wrong group of guys to ask, that crawler is probably 10 times better than most of the ones many of us have resurrected. Main answer you will get here is hell yeah, buy it, but better get a few more to keep it company. :lol:
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:21 pm

haha lavoy.. I am blind in one eye and cant see out of the other but does it look like that has the rocker for 3 pt hitch on it? How much is the price and did you look it over yet... Looks like maybe sitting for a while so the usual issues...but from what this blind guy sees its worth looking serious at it..
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:25 pm

Scampr, it's from an auction site so the price is whatever the highest bidder wants to pay for it. Right now the price is right! Dave smartly did not directly disclose the auction site or the location, although there are two clues that I used to figure it out so Dave may want to revise his post before all the predators find it :wink: (Don't worry Dave, I'm not going to bid on it.)

I did find it funny that the auctioneers couldn't identify if it was gas or diesel- even my local auctioneers who don't know jack about crawlers can figure out whether an engine is gas or diesel.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 pm

If they can't tell if it's gas or diesel, they probably will be vague about weather it will start, steer or stop too. :roll: :lol:

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 am

Good call, yes, that is a rockshaft and cylinder bracket for 3PT hitch.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 am

Hi,

Maybe the 2-53 confused them?

Yeah. I know. That is a bit of a reach on my part! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:04 am

Here is the description from the auction site:

John Deere Small Dozer

Overall unit is in fair condition
Right side turning Brake is hung up
Tracks are overall fair condition
Seat need to be replaced
Missing Battery
Front Blade is in overall Fair/Good Condition
Straight blade dozer with Unknown Condition of Lift Cylinders
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 pm

WOW, is that an ambiguous description or what? For the most part, when someone describes an old crawler as fair, they know nothing at all, or know everything and are lying. Bid accordingly, I would say $2000 at the absolute outside.
Lavoy

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:26 am

Don't forget to figure in how much it will cost to get it home. gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:23 am

Straight blade dozer with Unknown Condition of Lift Cylinders
This would alarm me - Did they have the dozer running at all? Did the cylinders leak so badly that they couldn't lift the blade, or they wouldn't it lift at all which could point to other problems.

I'd second the statement that the descriptions are particularly vague for some reason, so bid accordingly.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

fordbroncodave
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by fordbroncodave » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 am

Well it is an auction website so who ever drops the items off can leave a description or the auction house writes one up based on appearance.

I have been lucky with this type of description and burned too. I kind of know what I am getting into and cheap as possible is what I am after.

If I can get it running and operating by June I would be happy. I plan to do some foresting at the farm and make room for grazing land in the future so we can have cattle there. I also want a machine not too heavy so I can transport it legally with my setup.

Another question, how much does it weigh? I am guessing less than 9000.

And another question, what is a fair price for this knowing what is told and that it is a 440 model?
10 john deere tractors and counting A's B's 60

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

fordbroncodave wrote:Well it is an auction website so who ever drops the items off can leave a description or the auction house writes one up based on appearance.

I have been lucky with this type of description and burned too. I kind of know what I am getting into and cheap as possible is what I am after.

If I can get it running and operating by June I would be happy. I plan to do some foresting at the farm and make room for grazing land in the future so we can have cattle there. I also want a machine not too heavy so I can transport it legally with my setup.

Another question, how much does it weigh? I am guessing less than 9000.

And another question, what is a fair price for this knowing what is told and that it is a 440 model?

You really need to state how much you're willing to spend to "get it running and useable". Some of us here have spent $1000's "getting it running and useable". If that's not what you're thinking, better look for a better machine.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 am

About 7000lbs.
If the crawler were free, what is your dollar amount that you would be willing to put into it in terms of getting it going and repaired correctly?
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm

fordbroncodave wrote: I plan to do some foresting at the farm and make room for grazing land in the future so we can have cattle there.
This is the first question we generally ask those new to crawlers and considering purchasing one. In this case your expectation sounds like it is to "clear and grub" forest or scrub areas into pasture.

A crawler of this size is not going to be able to push over medium or large trees or drag very large trees on its own, depending on the species of tree and its root systems. I have a hard time felling medium to large hardwoods whole with my much larger 2010 crawler loader unless I dig around the roots with the loader bucket first. Loaders tend to be better for that because they can use the loader arms to exert leverage higher on the trunk when felling and lift an end of a log when dragging. That was the reason that forestry dozers have a "logging arch" to accomplish the same thing.

However this size/configuration crawler is useful to scrape ground and push brush. The three point hitch (if made operational) would be really nice to hook up rear mounted blades, scrapers, or brush hogs to help accomplish that purpose. it could also be nice to get a 3 point bale spear and carry around a large round bale on the back.

I'm not trying to discourage you here as long as you understand this size, type, and age of crawler will have some practical limitations and you won't be able to move the world with it. Some people come in with unrealistic expectations for smaller crawlers and when we hear their ultimate objectives recommend larger crawlers or loaders over dozers to accomplish their specific objectives.