low power 440 ic gas

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
john b
40C crawler
40C crawler

low power 440 ic gas

Post by john b » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:38 pm

thanks again to everyone for help with my transmission problems. now im on to power. last few uses the machine seems under powered on inclines. it want to bog down in 2nd on just a 5 % grade with no load. must be a fuel problem because if i pull the choke out about 1/3 it powers back up. any ideas?i rebuilding the carb today but any other ideas would be great
'58 d-4, '48 ford f-6 dumper,'59 440i.c.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Mixture set too lean?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

john b
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by john b » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 pm

it s a mixture problem for sure. i have always thought it idled way to fast, so today i disconnected the governor and operated the throttle manually to get the carb adjusted correctly. looks like my governor isnt working correctly as it wont allow the carb to return back to idle. thats why i was having so much trouble getting it tuned, i wasnt starting from zero i was starting from 7 on a scale of 1 thru 10 on throttle. anyone out there have a governor to sell or rebuild them? thanks....john
'58 d-4, '48 ford f-6 dumper,'59 440i.c.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Governor would not be affected by choke, that is a mixture issue. The mixture setting in question is not done at idle, so that is not the issue either as long as you can rev it up.
Not that your governor is not bad, but normally it has nothing to do with any of the symptoms you are describing including not going to idle. I wonder if there is a binding issue in the linkage, throttle shaft, etc. Governor to carb rod adjusted correctly is another possibility. I would look at all of the above before I would pull a governor.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am

Hi Phil-

As Lavoy mentions, you need to look at the carb adjustments (first) as discussed in the other recent thread on this subject and potentially the carb rebuild itself (second).

One thing about M-S carbs; if I remember correctly on this type of carb all of the three adjusting screws affect air rather than fuel flow, one adjustment is specifically at idle and the others for under power. Thus when you are pulling the choke you are further restricting airflow in the carb by closing the butterfly valve which is then fixing your issue. To me it sounds like you have the adjustment screws too far out which is allowing too much overall airflow, particularly on the "power screw" since you are having the problems under load. The "power screw" (at least on my 8N with the M-S carb) has to be adjusted under load (not just engine revved in neutral) which is tricky since the tractor is moving but can be done.

As others mentioned, once you do adjustments to the manual and are still having issues, the problem may be on reduced fuel flow which then points to the rebuild itself (leaky seals, gummed up needles or passageways, clogged lines, etc.).
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment