440IC purchase

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

440IC purchase

Post by plowboy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Im a newbie who just hauled home and started tearing down a crawler. As I know it has the gas engine, 5speed trans, and reverser. It's equipped with the model 91 loader and 6ft blade but also getting the 5.5ft dirt bucket. The issue is I can't find the serial tag on the tractor. The loader tag is on the rear of the RH loader post. I currently have the loader all pulled off and planning getting the machine functional and get everything back to working order. As the story goes it was in shed since granpa died years ago. Last sprig we got it out to make a food plot and it wouldn't steer one direction so we shut it down. An it sat outside for a couple yrs. I took a CAT 950B loader with forks from work and picked it up from the back and set it into my 1971 M35A2 and hauled it 15 miles home. I pushed in into shop with skid
Steer, checked fluids put a battery on track and hooked up cables and she cranked over but wouldn't fire. But I was more than happy with that. Im a heavy equipment mechanic an operator born and raised on dairy farm. I was told this rig was going to scrap this spring and I told them I can't let ulyou do that. So I am now the proud owner.

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:14 am

Well the loader is all off except the steel hydo line runnein under belly and up to each side going to drop belly pans today and remove them as well. I know I'm going to find issues with this rig the deeper I get. However the under carriage looks like it had major work done with few hours of run time. The only weird thing I see is that they put new 12" dozer pads every other with the original street pads. I really noticed it when I was trying to roll it across the concrete shop floor. I'd like to eventually get the rest of the pads changed over as well but not big concern at the moment.

Has anybody made there own dozer U frame? Not that I don't think the loader is worthy of work anymore but id rather have this rig as a dozer not a crawler. And the loader frame is tall and covers a lot of the tractor as you all know. Just looking for some pictures or thoughts on the matter. I seen a 420 inside frame on Craigslist for a 420 last week but dot know if that would bolt on to my 440IC and they want $1500 which may be a reasonable price but I thinks it high. Any help out there???!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:58 am

Serial number should be on the LH side of the bellhousing near the sediment bowl.
By the time you get heavy enough steel to do the job and do all the work, you will be ahead buying the correct dozer. 420 blade will not fit, different mounts. A customer of mine will have an inside arm manual 6 way off of a 440 for sale this spring.
If you keep it as a loader, use all street pads, grouser pads are hell on a loader crawler.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks! I'll take a look to see if I can find that serial tag. And i agree about cost of building blade. Just checking if anybody has attempted it before and results.Hoping today to tinker abit on carb and clean gas tank and such.

I really wish this rig had a 6way hydro blade but I can't complain for the price i paid. I'm not planning on making a living with the rig. More just for fun, plow snow move little dirt if need be but Id really like to restore it someday. Been eyeing up building a hydro driven winch/ rollers for rear to skid logs on farm. And obviously I'd like to find original equipment.

Thanks for the help

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:18 pm

I really wish this rig had a 6way hydro blade
There's no doubt that a 6 way hydraulic blade is handy, but with some practice, a mechanical blade will serve you well too at a lower cost. I keep a 2 lb sledge and a small crowbar in my belly pan for making blade adjustments when needed, Most of the time a straight and level blade gets the job done - it just takes some practice establishing your starting grade. Good luck with your new project. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Thanks Paul! I'm not sure what I'm going to do for sure with my toy. Its more or less a connection between my childhood farmboy experices and my adult profession. It's a Combination of our 2cly tractors we have on farm and what I do everyday of the week working on and operating equipment.

Next time the GPS trimble rep comes to work I'm going rattle his brain about putting a system on my 440. Should be fun.

Lavoy, where abouts is that mechanical 6way blade frame you
We're referring to? I'm going to keep my eye open for one here in Wisconsin but im always up for a road trip.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 pm

It is here at my place right now.
Lavoy

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm

Found the tag, after scraping a healthy layer of geese and dirt. 442728

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:10 am

Should be a 1958 model.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:42 pm

Ok I've got a question, by looking at my crawler it has the pto lever on the left side on trans. It has the cap on the rear where pto would go. What do I need to have pto. Obviously the shaft and bearing housing that bolts it place of the cap. But can I literally slide it in and go?

Know for the other question are there only a few shafts that will go into my 440 or could there be many from other tracors that would work?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Easy to add, just bolt it in, correct. Most tractors are different, but crawlers are the same except for 40. I have PTO's available.
Lavoy

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

it rubs

Post by plowboy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:15 am

Well I went through the carb last night, new points, coil hooked up a 6v battery I borrowed from dads 49 A and my 440 fired up. She just sat and purred. What goodfeeling it was. I'm hoping to test drive it today. I know there's things wrong but hoping to figure them out today. When I try to drive it.

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:21 am

Ok I have my 440IC crawler with a 91model loader. What is the loader worth with 5.5ft wide bucket. worked when I took it off. Just leaning twords an inner C frame and blade.

Thinking of selling it or maybe trade it. Any input or thoughts is great.

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:19 pm

May be worth its weight in scrap at the least.
Parts are always in demand.
Might find the rare someone who is looking for a complete setup.

There is an inside blade assembly close here for sale. West Michigan.
I will look for it and get back to you.

Duke

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:10 pm

Well I don't know if I could scrap it that's harsh. Itll probably go to farm and get stacked in shed with dad old iron.
Last edited by plowboy on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.