Gearmatic Winch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Roger440IC
430 crawler
430 crawler

Gearmatic Winch

Post by Roger440IC » Sun May 04, 2014 1:42 am

I just picked up my second 440, mostly for parts. The Gearmatic winch on the back seems to be rusted up because when I engage the PTO and let up the clutch it stalls the engine.
I could use some help to identify which model winch this is and also where I might find a parts list and shop manual for it.
Thanks,
Roger

440-IC
420-U

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun May 04, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Roger: I 'm pretty sure that you have a Gearmatic 8a winch. Send me an email and I'll send you a .pdf of the 8a/g manual and parts list. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

jim-e
40C crawler
40C crawler

8A winch

Post by jim-e » Mon May 05, 2014 10:37 am

Though far from an expert, and thanks to Paul's help and example, i have learned a little of the workings of this winch. When they sit in the weather water and dust can get inside both sides of the winch- the gear drive side which has 90W gear oil, and the clutch/brake side. The brake bands can rust to the outside of the drum and lock it up. It is not too difficult to loosen the brake adjustment but freeing up the bands requires more disassembly. The control units vary a little in looks (my clutch and brake cylinders are completely outside the reservoir unit) but parts seem to be the same. Still waiting on my new linings; then i will assemble and bleed the brakje fluid components. Good luck!