Choke shaft for TSX-756?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Choke shaft for TSX-756?

Post by NEpilot » Sun May 18, 2014 8:51 pm

This has to be a 1 in a million...................

While clearing a couple acres in my backyard, pushing a couple stumps the crawler suddenly dies. When things just die I've learned to not try to start them and take a look around first.

While pushing the stumps a small 3" tree got in the mix and when it snapped speared the carburetor. It chipped off a small piece of the choke flange, and tore the rubber elbow. I had to get the chain saw and carefully cut the stupid tree that was wound up tight without it killing me in the process.

I was tired anyway so good time to quit and take the carb off to see if anything else was broke. Turns out the choke shaft was bent badly and when I went to bend it back................ of course it broke, in three spots!

Good news is it is warm outside so I will put it back together without the choke for now so I can keep working.

So I see two options; someone here can tell me where to buy a choke shaft for a TSX-756 or I'm going to have to make a new one. Who knows where I can buy one???? (fingers crossed).

-Chris
John Deere 440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 am

I have them available, may have one on hand, I can check if you want.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NEpilot » Mon May 19, 2014 9:11 am

Please let me know! Also if you have the rubber elbow that would save me some hunting at the parts store.

The butterfly is intact and I was able to braze the small piece that snapped on the carb intake flange. I'm still in awe of how on earth this happened, I need to be more careful I guess.

I noticed there are no bushings on the shaft or the carb, just passes through, is this normal?

PS - Those 5 new bottom rollers are working great!

-Chris
John Deere 440IC

1010c
420 crawler
420 crawler

Carburator

Post by 1010c » Mon May 19, 2014 7:40 pm

The throttle and choke shafts i have seen usually dont have bushings. They usually dont have them inless the hole is worn and there is a gap then they put the bushings in. This is what i have seen anyway. Also you should be able to buy the choke shaft with a carb overhall kit might cost alot of $ but if lavoy cant get a choke.

NEpilot
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by NEpilot » Mon May 19, 2014 7:47 pm

If the price is crazy I'll just make one on the lathe at work. I've found Lavoy to have reasonable prices so I'm anxious to see if he can get one.

I'm still shaking me head that this even happened.

All in all this little loader crawler does much more work than I expected from it, I'll still learning but piece by piece all the little things will get taken care of.
John Deere 440IC

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Chris,
Sorry, was tied up in the shop all day on a project, and just got home. Shoot me an e-mail so I don't forget to check tomorrow.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com