How hot is too hot??

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

How hot is too hot??

Post by gus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:33 am

I worked the crap out of my 420 3 days back. I was mowing steep hill side in 90++ temps and the needle finally started crawling up on me. When it started getting towards 230, I stopped and let it cool for a while. Also need a good way to get the fine dust and chaff off the screen since the nose guard is in the way. Next year I think I'll take a 5 gallon garden sprayer with me to hose it down.

Got me to wondering, what is too hot??

DukeofDeere
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DukeofDeere » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:05 pm

In my humble opinion as long as she doesn't boil over it is ok.
Keeping the air flow is really important.
Might be time for a fresh water pump?

Duke

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:09 pm

I have worked them harder than that, in hotter temps, something is up, gauge may be wrong, temp gun would tell you that. Radiator may be plugged, dirt in the fins, etc. Clean everything up good, wash out the radiator, and try it again.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:20 pm

Lavoy wrote:I have worked them harder than that, in hotter temps, something is up, gauge may be wrong, temp gun would tell you that. Radiator may be plugged, dirt in the fins, etc. Clean everything up good, wash out the radiator, and try it again.
Lavoy
Won't happen 'til next year. It's a once a year job. It stayed right on 180 for most of the job but towards the end started to climb. It was very dirty conditions mowing 2-3' high weeds, dry weeds. I'm reasonably sure it was dirt and fuzz (from star thistle and other thistles) plugging the radiator screen and some probably got to the fins.

New gauge and it did not boil over. Temp came down a lot when I did put water on it as it sat waiting for me to get the trailer hitched and ready to load up. I let it idle until it was tied down and I was ready to leave for home. It got a good wash out at home when I unloaded it. When it gets parked back in the shop I'll blow it out with air.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:42 am

That sounds like an air flow issue then I would bet. Easiest way to clean the screen is run your fingers top down on the screen to pull the fluff out of the bottom of the grooves. Done that so many times on a 4020 I wonder if my fingers are worn shorter.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:31 am

Lavoy wrote:That sounds like an air flow issue then I would bet. Easiest way to clean the screen is run your fingers top down on the screen to pull the fluff out of the bottom of the grooves. Done that so many times on a 4020 I wonder if my fingers are worn shorter.
Lavoy
Damn nose guard prevented that. I can't get my hand in there but did do the sides and the dumped a gallon of water down it that I was carrying. Next year I'll take a 5 gallon garden sprayer along. That will at least let me wash some off and provide some water cooling.

Actually, next year I'm planning on mowing earlier when it's still slightly green. It was this years plan, but a bunch of visiting relatives and my daughters graduation got in the mix and delayed mowing.

I should note, it worked fine last year and conditions were similar but the weeds were not quite as tall.